Saturday, May 24, 2014

Slow Cooker Ratatouille


I can probably count on one hand how many times I have had eggplant in my life. I bought an eggplant at the store recently and then it sat for a few days on the kitchen counter. I knew I wanted to attempt to make ratatouille. Friday morning before the hubby left for work, I told him of my plans to make it in the slow cooker. To say he was a tad skeptical would be an understatement.  With a few clicks of a mouse on the computer, I found everything and anything I ever wanted to know about making this traditional French Provençal stewed vegetable dish. Last night, since we were planning on grilling salmon for dinner, I knew ratatouille would be an awesome side dish.  Both kids were around in the early evening and I wanted to spend time with them, so I took a few minutes to chop up the eggplant and zucchini and then tossed a bag of the Kroger brand frozen three-pepper and onion blend, a can of diced tomatoes, water, a can of tomato paste and some various spices into the slow cooker. After just two hours, it was done.  I had no idea how it would taste when I put a spoonful on the hubby's plate (I don't think he did either). Well, he gave it a 10 out of 10!! Yeah! FYI - if you can't find a 12-ounce bag of frozen three-pepper and onion blend, a 14-ounce bag would be fine too. Birdseye makes a "Recipe Ready" Tri Color Pepper and Onion blend that's really good - I've used it before :)

Ingredients

3 cups eggplant, skin on (cubed)
2 cups zucchini, skin on (cubed)
12-ounce bag frozen three-pepper and onion blend (any brand)
14.5 ounce can, diced and peeled tomatoes, no-salt, undrained (any brand)
6-ounce can tomato paste (any brand)
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon marjoram

On a cutting board, chop both the eggplant and zucchini into cubes. Put into a 2 1/2 quart slow cooker. Add the bag of frozen three-pepper and onion blend, tomatoes, tomato paste and water. Stir with a spoon until well combined. Add the garlic powder, black pepper, thyme, basil and marjoram. Stir well and then put the lid on. Turn on high for two hours. Stir before serving. Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...