Thursday, November 17, 2016

Madeleines


About a week or so, I went looking for a new cookie recipe because the holidays are right around the corner. I dug deep into my pile of cookbooks and pulled one out called, "Tante Marie's French Kitchen," from 1949. The gal that translated and adapted it was Charlotte Turgeon, who just so happens to have been a lifelong pal of Julia Child! The two women met in college. I absolutely loved watching Julia Child's show, "The French Chef," that was on PBS. Yep, my love of watching cooking shows goes back a LONG way!! Anyways, after I blew the dust off the top of the cookbook, I found a recipe for madeleines. The only thing about making madeleines is that you need a special kind of pan to bake them in! I went to my local Bed, Bath and Beyond (I love the store, plus I always have a bunch of coupons) and purchased a 12-cavity madeleine pan for about $10.00. I have never heard of a pan with 12 cavities. Maybe the pan needs to go to the dentist. LOL.  Okay, bad joke, I know.  Ladies (and men) who bake, if you don't have one, ask for it for a holiday present!!! The recipe was so simple to make and they turned out pretty well if I do say so myself!!!

Ingredients

4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 1/3 cups white flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray the madeleine pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Get one small bowl and one large bowl. Separate the yolks from the whites of the four eggs. Put the whites in the small bowl and the yolks in the large bowl. Beat the yolks slightly with a fork and add the white sugar and butter. Mix by hand with a large spoon or use an electric mixer until well combined. Add the lemon juice and white flour and combine well again. Gently "fold," in the whites of the eggs and mix until smooth. Pour into each "cavity," making sure it's not filled too full. This recipe makes three dozen cookies. Bake for 20 minutes and let cool five minutes before removing to wire rack to continue cooling. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...