Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Turkey Pot Pie


For months, okay, probably years, Lauren has asked me to make a chicken pot pie. Previous attempts did not end well, so I kept telling her, "I'm on the lookout for a good recipe!"  Well, I should have just asked my best friend. She gave me an awesome recipe, a handful of months back, which I made a few small changes here and there to. Chicken pot pie is great, but you can also use leftover turkey to make a turkey pot pie. Since the hubby had bought an eight pound turkey breast recently, I had TONS of that leftover!!  I watched my husband last night at dinner go back and forth to get more after he finished his first plate full. I finally said, "isn't that your FOURTH piece?!?!?!?!"



He looked at me and said, "who's counting?!?!?!?!" I guess I must have been! I have to admit, it was pretty tasty (I had seconds). I love making a homemade crust with shortening - it makes it so flaky! Remember, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and its a great way to use up some of that leftover turkey. I'm thinking as much as my husband and Lauren love turkey pot pie, I may need to make two!

Ingredients

Pastry:

2 cups white flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plus two tablespoons shortening
5 tablespoons cold water

Filling:

1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup white flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
14 ounce can chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
16-ounce package peas and carrots, frozen

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In medium bowl, put the flour and salt. With two knives, "cut" in the shortening until it resembles small peas. Add the water and mix with a large spoon until a dough begins to form. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured board, roll each half into a 9 1/2 inch circle. Put half into a 9-inch ungreased pie pan and set the other half aside while you prepare the filling. In large stockpot, put the butter, flour, onion, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with large spoon, until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the broth and milk. Heat mixture to boiling, stirring constantly and then boil and stir for one minute. Remove from heat and add the chopped turkey and the frozen peas and carrots. Mix well and then pour into the pie pan. Place the reserved pastry on top and tuck the edges in. Cut a slit in the top to allow the steam to escape while it's baking. Cook uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is just beginning to brown. Let cool about 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...