Monday, November 29, 2021

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I wanted some saltine cracker toffee. After hunting through our pantry, I found just one partial "sleeve" of saltine crackers. Since I needed a "full" sleeve of crackers and the hubby likes soup and since neither of us were planning to go to the grocery store for at least a few days, I looked around on the Internet for a substitution. I saw a recipe using graham crackers, but that didn't seem quite right.  I knew I had bought some Kellogg's Club crackers at the Kroger when they were on sale recently and wondered if they would work. I have been making saltine cracker toffee around the holidays for almost a decade, but had never tried any cracker other than a saltine. Since I still had that "taste," I decided to give it a try.  Oh my, I actually think it's 100% better with the Club crackers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This recipe is super simple. The hardest part is waiting until the chocolate firms up, which is about three hours. Try it for yourself, it is delicious and addictive. I had to give some away to my fabulous neighbors across the street or else my family would eat it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingredients:

48 Kellogg's Club crackers

1 cup butter, unsalted

1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed

12-ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Sprinkles or nuts (if desired)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of a 11 x 17- inch jelly roll or cookie pan and spray the bottom with non-stick cooking spray. As long as it has a "lip" on the pan you're good. You don't want the mixture sloshing around in the oven and spilling over onto the bottom of the oven!! Line the Club crackers in rows (you should be able to fit 48 crackers on the pan). In a medium saucepan, put the butter and light brown sugar. Bring to a boil slowly, stirring constantly for three minutes. Spread the mixture evenly over all the crackers (be careful, it will very hot) and bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the entire bag of chips evenly. Let it sit about two minutes for the chips to melt just a bit. With a small knife spread the melted chocolate evenly. If you want, you can add pecans or walnuts or sprinkles!! Let it cool completely for about three hours. Store covered at room temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...