Friday, February 22, 2019

"Almost" Sugar-Free Applesauce and Walnut Bread with Cardamom



About a month ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. It's partially hereditary, but I also hadn't really been watching how much sugar I was eating!! I had fallen into a pattern of eating cookies or ice cream after dinner. At the beginning of 2019, I turned over a new "leaf." I decided I was going to stop eating chocolate, cake, cookies and ice cream! I also realized I needed to stop baking so much with butter and white sugar - this recipe has neither of those two ingredients! I made this bread this morning and didn't have a chance to "sample" it until late this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised by how yummy it was!!!! I used an entire teaspoon of my favorite spice right now - cardamom!!

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a loaf pan (8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches) with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, put the flour, light brown sugar, canola oil, sour cream, applesauce and egg. Mix well with a whisk or large spoon until just combined. Add the salt, cardamom, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla extract. Combine until almost smooth and "fold" in the walnuts. Pour into pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean.  Let cool about 15 minutes and then remove to wire rack to continue to cool. Store covered at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...