Friday, October 25, 2019

Dill Pickle Soup



One of my very good friends and I have this running "joke" about pickles. It started a while back (I really don't remember how) and now, every time I find a food item that has pickles as an ingredient, I will send it to her. It's actually quite surprising how MANY pickle items are out there!! There are pickle flavored sprinkles, mints, ice cream, popsicles and my very favorite - the pickle flavored candy cane! There is even a National Pickle Day!! This year it is November 14 (in case you were wondering). Even if you weren't, you know now, LOL. In one of my conversations with my pickle "buddy," I jokingly sent her a recipe for Dill Pickle Soup. After discussing it a bit more, we decided I would make it and report back to her what it tasted like. Earlier this week, I went to the grocery store and picked up the ingredients to make the soup. This past Wednesday night, I whipped it up! It didn't take any time at all (the longest time was cutting the potatoes, carrots and pickles)!! It was really good if I do say so myself (and I just did)! In our house, we typically eat pickles that are heavily seasoned. After a little research, I learned that this type of soup is actually a Polish recipe. I've never noticed it before, but you can buy Polish dill pickles at the grocery store. We always get the kosher dill pickles. I was a teeny bit hesitant when I started eating this soup, just because I've never made it before. Wow, it was super duper creamy and delicious - I had two bowlfuls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingredients

2 14-ounce cans reduced sodium chicken broth +
      1 1/2 cups water
6 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
2 cups peeled and chopped carrots
1 cup Polish dill pickles, chopped
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1/2 cup white flour
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup dill pickle juice
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

In a large stockpot, combine the chicken broth, water, potatoes, carrots and butter and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).  Add the chopped pickles and return to boil. While the soup is boiling, you need to make up the "paste." In a small to medium bowl, put the flour, sour cream and water. Using a whisk or a large spoon, stir until the mixture is smooth. Drop two tablespoons of the "paste" at a time into the boiling soup, stirring constantly. Some of the potatoes might get broken up a bit, but don't worry.  You might also see some small balls of flour form as you are doing this, but they will eventually almost completely disappear. When you are done adding all of the "paste," add the pickle juice, Old Bay seasoning, black pepper and the crushed red pepper flakes. Boil an additional five minutes. If the soup is too thick, add a little water until you get it to the consistency you want. *Garnish with a spring of dill or sliced pickles if desired. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...