Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Minestrone Soup

In honor of January being National Soup Month I created this new recipe.  My oven was out of commission for almost two weeks and since I do about 75% of my cooking in it I had to get creative.

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chopped carrots
28-ounce can stewed and sliced tomatoes (undrained)
6 cups water
14-ounce can chicken broth
15.5-ounce can light or dark red kidney beans  (drained)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni


Melt one tablespoon of butter or margarine in the bottom of a large stockpot.  Add the chopped onion and celery and cook until almost soft.  Add the carrots, tomatoes, water and broth.  Drain the liquid from the kidney beans and add to the soup.  Add the basil, marjoram, pepper and salt.   Cover with lid and simmer for 30 minutes.   Add elbow macaroni and simmer an additional 10 minutes.




4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, healthy, and easy to make. :) I'll have to make sure my mom can see this recipe, because it looks amazing. Congratulations on this blog, Aunt Cathy, it is wonderful. I'm so happy for you.
    Love, Katy <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment. You are a sweetie. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks tasty! We love soups & stews in our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks "Hungry Bob" for the great compliment!

    ReplyDelete

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...