Thursday, February 23, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Muffins


Since being diagnosed with a heart condition in November 2011, I have been trying really hard to make more of my recipes "heart healthy."  I have started experimenting with using whole wheat flour when I bake and find that I really enjoy the flavor.  The hubby has been telling me for years that whole wheat is better for my health.  I'm glad I finally listened to him!! The recipe below has a combination of whole wheat and white flours with the addition of old fashioned oats.  Bananas are packed with potassium and fiber, so these muffins are pretty darn healthy!!!! They are really yummy right out of the oven or microwaved about 20-30 seconds.



Ingredients:

3 medium sized bananas
1 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
5 tablespoons margarine (softened)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup old fashioned oats

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place paper liners into a 12-muffin  baking tin.  Set aside.  Mash bananas in large bowl with fork.  Add the remaining ingredients except the oats.  Using a large spoon, mix by hand or use electric mixer until smooth.  Add the oats until well combined.  Fill the liners equally with the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes until  lightly brown or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on baking rack about 10 minutes. This recipe can also be made into banana oatmeal bread.  Using a standard size loaf pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour batter into loaf pan.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake about 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the bread is medium brown in color.  Cool on rack about 15 minutes, remove from pan and let cool.

3 comments:

  1. These look so good!! I eat oatmeal with a banana almost every day for breakfast, so I know I'd love these.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to make them for you the next time I see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great!

    ReplyDelete

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...