Monday, October 22, 2012

Halloween Graham Cracker Houses

I went to one of my favorite stores, World Market, about a week or so ago.  They have over 250 locations across the United States.  The store is incredible.  They have foods, coffees, beverages and more from all over the world - I am definitely in my element in a store like that :)  Anyways, I was in there picking up some coffee and looking for chocolate Advent calendars for the kids.   For the past several years, I have been buying the Christmas gingerbread house kits from World Market.  The kits were already out, but I decided to hold off for a while until a coupon comes along in the newspaper :) I don't know that I've ever seen a kit for making Halloween houses in the store, but a few of the Halloween books that I took out from the library showed some pretty cool Halloween houses.  They were made out of graham crackers and store bought canned frosting.  I was EXTREMELY skeptical that canned frosting would hold the house together.  Much to my surprise it actually works!
 

I took a sandwich sized zipper lock bag, filled it with about two tablespoons of frosting, pushed it down towards one end of the bag and snipped a very small corner off.  Instant decorator bag :)  I found an old cookie sheet and covered it with foil to put the house on.  I used four graham crackers for the base of the house putting the frosting on the edges.  I then used another four crackers for the roof.  Two went length wise and two went width wise.  I would recommend letting it sit about 1-2 hours to dry, but if you're impatient like I was, you don't have to! 


 
Dominic was my assistant for this experiment, he made most of the roof decorations.  What I liked best about making it ourselves is how inexpensive it was. I used the Kroger brand graham crackers and frosting that was on sale :)  The little pumpkins and candy corns came out of an "Autumn Mix" from Meijer. The semi-sweet chocolate morsels I already had in my pantry. The Smarties and M&M's were snitched out of our stockpile of candy that we're getting ready to hand out in a few weeks for Halloween.  Let your imagination be your inspiration for how to decorate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...