Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Apple Crumb Muffins

Fall officially arrived a little less than two weeks ago. Some of the trees where we live are starting to lose their leaves. The nights are getting cooler and we might have to put on the heat soon!! 


When the air starts getting that chill, it makes me think of apples and cinnamon - a perfect combination.  Being that October is National Apple Month, I guess that's why I had a taste for apple crumb pie. But, as much as I love to bake, pies are one dessert I still need to master.  I can probably count on one hand how many fruit pies I have made in my life.  That being said, I decided instead to try and replicate the flavors and make an apple crumb muffin.  There is cinnamon in both the batter and the topping of these muffins.  When these were baking, they smelled super yummy.  I could barely wait for them to come out of the oven before I "sampled" one!!



Ingredients for batter:

2 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups peeled and shredded apple (about 4 medium)

Topping:

1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon white flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon margarine

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place paper liners in a 12-muffin tin pan and set aside.  In large bowl, place all ingredients for the batter in the order given and mix with large spoon until well combined.  Distribute batter evenly into muffin tin.  In small bowl, mix the topping ingredients together until it resembles small crumbs.  Sprinkle the topping evenly between the muffins.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes and remove to wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...