Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Favorite Sugar Cookies



Dominic has been asking me lately to make "cookies with a few sprinkles."  I've been thinking of making sugar cookies for a while now, so I dug way back in my archives for my favorite sugar cookie recipe.  I know that I've been making these cookies since at least 1976, because I know that I sprinkled red, white and blue sprinkled sugar on these for the Bicentennial.  I can also remember that I wore a pair of overalls a lot that year that were very patriotic (I think they had liberty bells all over them), but I'll spare you all the picture of that!! You don't need fancy cookie cutters to make these - just use the bottom of a drinking glass :)  I had some leftover vanilla frosting from some brownie cake that I made last week, so I used some of the frosting on the cookies. Feel free to skip the frosting if desired.  I think Dominic was very happy that "cookies with a few sprinkles" finally made it onto the "menu" this week!!


Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar
1 cup margarine (softened)
1 large egg
3 cups white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In large bowl mix sugar, margarine and egg with electric mixer or by hand with large spoon. When well combined, add the remaining ingredients and mix together well.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.  Remove from fridge and with the palms of your hands roll into medium-sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  In separate bowl, put two tablespoons of white sugar.  Dip the bottom of a small glass in the sugar, then press down on cookie. If you want, you can add sprinkles also at this point.  Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly brown.  Let cool 3-5 minutes on cookie sheet, remove to wire rack to continue cooling.  Makes 3 1/2 to 4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...