Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Zucchini and Potato Soup

In the "reduced for quick sale" area in the grocery store last week,  I bought a big package of zucchini very cheap.  After looking at it on my counter for a few days, I decided I better hurry up and figure out what to do with it pretty quick.  I came up with a couple of ideas.  Muffins? Soup? Roasted? Steamed?  I decided on soup :)


We eat soup year round in our house.  The more I experiment with soups, I've come to realize you can make soup out of just about any combination of vegetables and meats and it will taste good.  I love that I control what goes in the soup (amount of salt, etc.).  You can make this soup with or without the smoked sausage.  I made it with, but if you want to go totally vegetarian, skip the sausage.  If you like a spicier soup, you can use a spicy sausage and/or add hot sauce to taste. 

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons margarine
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2 cups zucchini, peeled and chopped
2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped
14.5 ounce can fired roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
6 smoked sausages, chopped
10 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In large stockpot, melt the two tablespoons of margarine.  Add the onion and celery and saute slowly until they start to become tender.  Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low-medium heat, covered for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables become soft, stirring occasionally.  Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...