Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Homemade Double Chocolate Brownies

One of my favorite desserts to make for my family is boxed brownies.  I like to wait until they go on sale, use coupons and stockpile them in my pantry :) Today seemed like a good day to bake something chocolate (isn't everyday a good day for that)? These are "double" chocolate because I used cocoa and semi-sweet chocolate morsels.  Making these brownies from "scratch" take just a few extra minutes to prepare than boxed brownies (I promise)!!!
 
 
Ingredients:

1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened powdered cocoa
3/4 cup white flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray a            9 x 9 inch square pan with cooking spray.  Put all ingredients in the order above into a large bowl and mix well by hand until all ingredients are well combined.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool on rack about 1/2 hour.



If desired, you can use powdered sugar for decoration on the top of  the brownies.  Here's a dual duty tip - since the holes on a salt shaker are small, it seemed like the perfect size to use to sprinkle powdered sugar. Somehow,  I ended up with two extra salt shakers and no pepper shaker in my cupboard (not sure how that one happened). I filled one of the extra shakers up with about a third of the powdered sugar and then sprinkled the top of the brownies. You can certainly leave the brownies plain if you want and/or add a small scoop of vanilla ice cream :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...