Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dad's Biscuits



I was lucky enough to find in my vast collection of recipes, my great-grandfather's biscuit recipe from August 1959.  It was on a typed index card with the title, "Dad's Biscuits."  The "dad" being my grandmother's father on my mom's side of the family.  He owned a bakery at one time in Missouri.  I guess that's where I get my love of baking from, it's in the "genes." I made these this morning and Dominic and I did a little taste "test."  I asked Dominic what he thought of the biscuits and he said, "good!"  I did change the measurements slightly, the original recipe used one teaspoon of salt, I cut it down to 1/4 teaspoon.  Also, there was no measurement for the amount of milk, the recipe said, "add enough milk to make medium workable dough for rolling."  I found that 3/4 of a cup of milk was "workable."  I  have a small collection of biscuit cutters and decided on the littlest one. I don't remember where I got that biscuit cutter from, but I'm pretty sure it's older than me :) I was able to make 20 biscuits out of the dough.  Depending on what size biscuit cutter you use, you will be able to get more or less than that.





Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups white flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease cookie sheet with baking spray.  In large bowl, put all ingredients together and mix well with spoon.  On flat surface, sprinkle one tablespoon of flour.  Take dough mixture and knead about 20 times (don't over knead the dough or the biscuits will be tough). Flatten with hands to get to desired thickness and use biscuit cutter.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until slightly golden brown on top.

*September is right around the corner and it is National Biscuit Month!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...