Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Crispy Rice Treats



Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats have been around since the early 1940's.  They are super easy and quick to make at home (only three ingredients).  You can even buy them individually packaged at the grocery store. They are definitely not low calorie, but they are fun to have once in a while :)  I used the "house" brand of marshmallows and crispy rice cereal that Kroger makes.  I also used the crispy rice treat recipe on the back of  the bag of marshmallows.  The only difference between the Kellogg's version and the Kroger version is the Kroger version uses one additional tablespoon of margarine/butter.  You can use margarine instead of butter, but my feeling is that it's not like you eat these every day, so why not splurge a little?!?! A while back I had bought a container of 100 cookie cutters from Bed Bath and Beyond (I think because I had a coupon) and I recently found them again in our basement.



I decided to get a little creative and made some of the treats into the below shapes.  It was a little sticky making them, but isn't that half the fun??  You can get the kids involved making these because they are so easy to make.  I enlisted Dominic to help me :)



 Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 package (10 ounces) marshmallows (any brand)
6 cups crispy rice cereal (any brand)

Melt butter or margarine slowly in a large saucepan.  Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in the cereal until it is completely coated.  Pour into lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.  Press the mixture evenly into the pan.  Let cool slightly.  Cut into squares or desired shapes.  Store at room temperature covered for no more than two days.   They start losing their freshness pretty fast, that's why their "shelf" life is so short!! If your family can't eat them within a few days, I'm sure your co-workers, friends or neighbors would be happy to "help" you out!  You could even whip them up for a new mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...