Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Carrot Muffins

My favorite grocery store was selling three pounds of carrots for a $1.00 this week.  I usually buy the shortcut carrots when they are 10 for $10.00, but decided since it was such a good deal, I would buy the three pound bag. Once I got them home, I was thinking of different ways to use them.  The first thing that came to mind was to whip up some carrot muffins, since we were all out of breakfast "bakery."  While grating the carrots for the muffins, I was wondering why it was taking so long.  After I got to the end of the second out of four carrots, I realized I had the grater upside down :)  Once I got that "issue" figured out, it made the grating go much faster!!  Usually when I'm all done grating the carrots, I toss the remaining bits of carrots that are leftover into a bag and put in the fridge for a snack for later.  This time I put them in a sealed bag and tossed them into the freezer.  I'm working on a recipe for Carrot Pumpkin Soup and thought they could be used later on!!


Ingredients:

1 cup white flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups peeled and finely grated carrots
2 large eggs
2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2  teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and fill a 12-muffin tin with paper liners.  In large bowl, put all ingredients in the order given.  Using a large spoon, mix until well combined.  Distribute batter evenly and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean.  Cool for 5-10 minutes in tin and then remove to baking rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...