Friday, December 28, 2012

Ham and Bean Soup

It has snowed so much in the past week that I'm beginning to think I live at the North Pole!!







Today's weather forecast was for more snow and cold, so it seemed like a good day to make some soup!  I didn't want to have to run to the grocery store, so I used ingredients I already had in my fridge, freezer and pantry. To make it a little more interesting, I challenged myself to see if I could be like Rachel Ray and make it in 30 minutes (or less)! We still had quite a bit of leftover ham from Christmas dinner, so it seemed like the perfect meat to use. I also had bags of both onion and corn in my freezer.  I like keeping bags of different veggies in my freezer, so I can use as little or as much as I need at a time for a meal. Taking a quick peek into my pantry, I found some fire roasted tomatoes (my new favorite kind of tomatoes) and some cannellini kidney beans. Tip: you don't need to buy the fancy frozen veggies or gourmet brand of tomatoes or beans.  From my experience, I have found that the "house" or "generic" versions from the grocery store will usually taste the same (and be cheaper).  I'm happy to report that I met my challenge :) This soup was ready in 30 minutes and I had it for lunch today.  As an added bonus, it was super tasty!!
 


 Ingredients:

2 cups cooked ham, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup corn
14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
15.5 ounce can cannellini kidney beans, drained
8 cups water

In large stockpot, put all ingredients in the order given.  Stir with large spoon to mix thoroughly.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  That's it - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...