Friday, March 1, 2013

Homemade Yellow Cupcakes



Lauren and Dominic LOVE cupcakes.  What kid doesn't??  I don't even know how many dozens of cupcakes I have baked in my lifetime - let's just say ALOT :) I have always thought that making homemade cupcakes took longer than making them from a box of cake mix, so that's what I have always done in the past. Today, I decided to do a little experiment and see how quickly I could make cupcakes from scratch. Believe it or not, I think I ended up spending less time making them myself than using a box of cake mix!! This recipe came from a Amish/Dutch cookbook from 1961. It's actually a recipe for yellow cake, but I decided to make it into cupcakes.  I thought it would make about 12 cupcakes -  it made 18.  I decided to take a little help from the store by using canned frosting I had leftover from last weekend. I had just barely enough to cover the cupcakes!

Ingredients:

2 cups white flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup margarine, softened
2 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.  In large bowl, put all ingredients in the order above.  Mix on medium speed with electric mixer for one minute or by hand with large spoon until smooth. Distribute the batter evenly between 18 paper liners.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.  Frost and decorate with sprinkles if desired.  Makes 18 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...