Saturday, February 6, 2016

Six-Layer Bars


Anytime I have ever been to a party and seen 7-layer bars (also known as Hello Dolly  bars and Magic cookie bars) on the dessert table, I have ALWAYS made sure I got a piece! I would definitely put them in the same category as pecan pie - decadent and not something you eat everyday. 7-layer bars are typically made with a graham cracker crust, but given I went to the grocery store this past Wednesday and completely forgot to buy graham crackers, I used some round vanilla wafers I had in the pantry for the crust. I decided to leave out the layer of butterscotch chips, because personally, I find them way too sweet. These bars were incredibly delicious - the hubby had two pieces for dessert Thursday night.




Ingredients

Crust:

1 cup white flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, unsalted

Filling:

1 cup round vanilla wafers, crushed
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
14-ounce can sweetened
  condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl, put the flour and white sugar. Using two dinner knives, "cut," in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan with your fingertips or with the back of a large spoon.  Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from oven and let the crust cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the crushed vanilla wafers, chocolate chips, pecans and coconut. Sprinkle the baking powder and salt over the ingredients and combine well with a large spoon. Distribute entire mixture over the cooled crust. Pour the can of condensed milk over all ingredients and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Store covered at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...