Saturday, February 27, 2016

Tomato Basil Soup




I have recently "branched" out and begun to use different spices. This is a HUGE step for me because I was the world's pickiest eater growing up (just ask my mom)!!! I remember the first time I told the hubby I had added marjoram to something I was making and he was like, "margarine?" It's now become one of my favorite spices to use because it makes you go, hmm, what is that flavor?!?!? The other day when I was at the Target in the spice aisle, I picked up a bottle of curry powder. I tucked it into the cabinet and kind of forgot about it!! Last night, I was making up some tomato basil soup - a soup I have eaten plenty of times, but have never made from "scratch." The first time I took a small spoonful to "sample," the first word that came to mind was "bland." I could just picture my husband picking up the salt and pepper and continually adding it! I thought to myself, why not add a bit of curry powder? The second word that came to mind after I added the curry powder was "yummy!" I talk a lot about how my two favorite spices are cinnamon and nutmeg, well I think my new favorite spice "duo" is marjoram and curry powder!!!

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
1 cup onion, chopped
28-ounce can tomatoes, crushed
4 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons basil
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large stockpot, melt the butter slowly. Add the onion and slowly saute until onion is soft. In the order given, add the remaining ingredients and then bring to boil. Turn down to simmer, cover and cook for about 40 minutes. Makes 5 1/2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...