Friday, March 25, 2016

Apple/Cheese and Walnut Bread


What do you do if you bought five pounds of apples that are all about the same size as a softball? You make apple bread, that's what you do!  One of my new found favorite things to eat is a slice of apple with a slice of Colby Jack cheese on top. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!! Of course, as one who likes to be a little daring with flavor combinations, how about if you took shredded cheese and apples, plus a handful of walnuts and made it into a bread??? All I can say is double D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!! I decided to make the bread a little more "gourmet," by putting a little powdered sugar drizzle on top. Can you tell I'm the great-granddaughter of a baker?!?!?!? My dream "side" job would be to work in a bakery making quick breads all day! Ah, maybe one day.

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup organic agave nectar
2 large eggs
2 cups white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups peeled and shredded apples,
  (I used three large Jonagolds)
1/2 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside. In a large bowl, put the butter, white sugar, agave nectar, eggs, white flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Mix well with large spoon. Peel and then shred the apple with a grater. Drain the juice from the shredded apples. I put the shredded apple in a 2-cup measuring cup and then put my fist on top and turned the measuring cup over and pushed down on the shredded apple (I did this over a cup and got six ounces of liquid)! Don't toss the liquid - you can drink it :) Next, add the cheese and then combine well. Gently "fold" in the walnuts and mix together. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a baking rack for about 10-15 minutes before removing from pan to continue cooling on rack. If desired, you can make a drizzle - in a small bowl, put two tablespoons powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon water. Mix well and then with a small spoon, drizzle on top. Store covered at room temperature for up to three days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...