Sunday, April 3, 2016

Ham and Cheese Frittata

I have known my stepson since he was six years old. When he was growing up and would come to our house, I would make him his very own "made-to-order omelet," for breakfast. He was very good for my ego, because he would tell me that I should open up my own restaurant! Cooking and baking for those that I love is certainly one of my passions.


After doing a little bit of research about what a frittata is, it's basically a baked omelet. My first attempt at a ham and cheese frittata yielded a nice looking product, but, oh my, it was so salty - guess I shouldn't have put a cup and a half of ham in - yikes. My second attempt turned out much better! Since cheese has been on sale at Kroger  lately, I had stocked up! I had Swiss, mozzarella and Colby Jack to choose from. My first frittata used Colby Jack and it was okay, but not quite the right flavor. Mozzarella didn't seem like the right cheese either - I guess I think of that as "pizza" cheese. Swiss was so yummy and it melted wonderfully!!



 My stepson has grown into a smart and handsome man and he and I still remain close. He is now 32 and engaged to a gal we all love! I can't wait for him and his future wife to visit us. I already know what will be on the "menu," for breakfast at "Cathy's Kitchen," a made-to-order frittata!



Ingredients

8 large eggs
1 cup cooked ham, chopped
1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 1/2 inch glass pie plate with non-stick spray and set aside. In a large bowl, put the eggs, ham, cheese and black pepper. Beat well with a fork or wire whisk until well combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until the frittata is starting to turn brown and the middle is cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool just a bit. Serves eight. Store covered in the fridge for up to three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...