Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles


One of my dear friends, Melissa, looked at my blog recently trying to find a pumpkin cookie recipe. Finding none, I told her I would try and come up with one! I am ALWAYS up for a baking challenge, so I decided to make pumpkin snickerdoodles! My absolute favorite "trio," of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger) are in these tasty "gems!" Shortly before I headed over to a disability ministry art event at Melissa's art gallery Sunday a week ago, I whipped up a few dozen cookies, thinking there would be at least a few left over for her to enjoy later with her husband. Well, guess how many were left. ONE!!! You know what that means. Well, it actually means three things, the participants at the art event liked them, since I didn't even get a picture of my first platter of cookies, I had to make some more and I owe Melissa a platter of cookies!


 Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
3/4 cup packed pumpkin
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger

Topping

1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger

In a large bowl, put the butter and white sugar and cream until smooth by hand with a large spoon or with electric mixer. Next, add the light brown sugar, pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined. Lastly, add the white flour, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Mix by hand with large spoon until it turns into a soft batter. Don't over mix. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for a minimum of two hours. When ready to make, preheat oven to 375 degrees and cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll the batter into four dozen balls the same size (a little smaller than a golf ball) and set aside. In a small bowl, put the topping ingredients - white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Using a small spoon, mix until combined. Roll each ball into the sugar topping mixture, coating the entire ball. Place a dozen at a time on the cookie sheet and using the bottom of a drinking glass, first put in the sugar topping mixture and then press the ball. Bake for 12 minutes and then remove to wire rack immediately to continue to cool.  Store covered at room temperature for up to one week. Side note: parchment paper is my new favorite baking item for cookies. If a recipe calls for ungreased cookie sheets, I use parchment paper. I bought the Kroger "house," brand a while back and I still have several sheets and no "stuck" cookies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...