Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Jeannette's Chocolate Covered "Grasshoppers"

In less than a week, it will be two months since my mom's passing. It has been a difficult time, but I think my dad phrased it the best - you learn to "adapt." He and my mom were married for over 55 years.


While looking through two of my mom's recipe boxes today, I came across a recipe for Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers. The name certainly sounds intriguing, doesn't it?!?!?! I always thought Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers had some form of mint in it. A quick Internet search though, brought up "real" grasshoppers covered in chocolate. Um, no, I don't think so! The recipe is from my mom's friend Jeannette, who I always remember living near Miami, Florida. She has five children, all relatively close in age. I met most, if not all of her children at one time or another. I think the youngest was my age. Anyways, I can just imagine Jeannette in her hot kitchen in Florida with her children making these. They are no-bake/drop cookies, so you don't need to heat up the oven! These cookies are really yummy!!


Thanks mom for saving this recipe and for instilling my love for baking and cooking, which I have had for a really, really long time!


Ingredients

6 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk
4 cups "quick" oats
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large saucepan, put the cocoa, white sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a large spoon until it becomes a smooth consistency. When it hits a "rolling" boil, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the oatmeal and vanilla extract. Stir until all of the oatmeal is covered with the chocolate mixture. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment paper. I was able to get 32 "grasshoppers" making them that size, if you prefer teaspoonfuls, then it will make more! Chill in the fridge for a minimum of one hour. Store covered in the fridge. *I'm still trying to figure out why they are called "grasshoppers." They certainly don't look or taste like a "grasshopper" to me, not that I know what a grasshopper tastes like!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...