Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Cardamom and Lemon Cookies


I have said it before and I'll say it again, I was the world's pickiest eater growing up! Never in a million years would I have ever thought of making a cookie using cardamom. Up until a few years ago, I didn't even know what cardamom was!!!  Cardamom is a spice that I think tastes like cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg rolled into one.  This is what the spice area looks like at my local Kroger, quite a selection, huh?


Yikes, thank goodness, a large portion of it is alphabetized or else I would be at a total loss!! I have really "branched" out in the past five years or so using different spices, especially when I make chicken, beef or veggie chili. A few nights ago, when I made chicken chili,  I put in cumin, turmeric and "Thai" inspired red curry powder. I also have been known to sneak in some marjoram into chicken soup. I was so excited the first time I made these cookies that I had a bit of a "heavy hand" with the cardamom. The second go round I used less. At the store, cardamom might be a little more expensive than some of the other spices, but trust me, a little goes a long way! Take a look sometime at how much saffron is, that one is super duper pricey!

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup pink powdered lemonade
  (I used Country Time)
1 large egg, beaten
2 1/2 cups white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*one tablespoon sanding sugar or sprinkles, optional
   (I used the Kroger brand "coral" sanding sugar)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter, white sugar and the pink powdered lemonade together with a large spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients in the order given (except the sanding sugar or sprinkles) and mix well with a large spoon. Roll batter into balls with the palms of your hands - you should be able to get 2 1/2 dozen balls if you make them a little smaller than a golf ball.  Place a dozen at a time on the lined cookie sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for five minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool. Store covered at room temperature. Makes 2 1/2 dozen yummy cookies!

* For a delicious and quick dessert idea, take a scoop of vanilla ice cream and put in between two cookies and squeeze gently. 

1 comment:

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...