Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Sloppy Janes

 


Raise your hand if you have ever eaten a Manwich Sloppy Joe. You probably have at least once, right? I like to eat a Sloppy Joe with a fork and a knife! What about you? Since the Pandemic started, I have been making the same dinners, just because it's easier. Yesterday, before I even attempted to make the Sloppy Janes, I showed the hubby two recipes. I let him pick the one he preferred, based on the ingredients. The two recipes were kind of similar, but were definitely different. One ingredient that both recipes called for was Worcestershire sauce, which of course I didn't have in the house! I looked online for a substitution and believe it or not, you can use A1 Steak Sauce, which I DID have in the house. I started pulling different spices out of the kitchen cabinet. I used ancho chili powder, instead of regular chili powder, because I wanted to give it a little bit of a "kick," but not so overpowering that you need to drink a gallon of water! The main difference between a Sloppy Joe and a Sloppy Jane is that you use ground turkey instead of ground beef. After I got all of the ingredients assembled, I started making the Sloppy Janes. It took a little longer than I thought to put this together, I thought it would be like 5 or 10 minutes, it ended up being like closer to 40. It was definitely worth the time, because these are delicious!! The hubby made the comment after dinner that it's good to try new things once a while. We had potato salad as a side dish. It was almost like a summer time picnic meal, except, we have several inches of snow on the ground, LOL!


Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 teaspoons regular or ancho chili powder

1 teaspoon ground paprika

8-ounce can tomato sauce, "no salt added"

1/2 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or A1 Steak Sauce

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1 1/2 pounds ground turkey

In a medium-large skillet, heat the oil slowly. Add the onion, chili powder and paprika. Stir occasionally with a large spoon, until the onions become soft and tender (about 10 minutes). Next, add the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce or A1 Steak Sauce and cider vinegar. Simmer for about 10 minutes  (stirring occasionally) until the sauce starts to thicken. Put in the ground turkey, breaking the meat up with a large spoon, until it is cooked through (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and put on hamburger buns. Makes about six hearty servings. Store covered in the fridge. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...