Sunday, April 11, 2021

Sour Cream Biscuits

 


If I were alone on a deserted island and only had biscuits to eat, I would be a happy gal!!! I can't remember a time that I haven't loved biscuits. Have you ever had Roy Rogers biscuits? Since I grew up on the East Coast,  I loved going there to eat and sometimes would go just to eat a pile of biscuits. YES, I love biscuits that much!!! Sadly, Michigan has NO Roy Rogers restaurants. Okay, enough with the trip down "memory lane!" Sunday mornings are the only time that the hubby, Dominic and I eat breakfast together. Typically, I make scrambled eggs with ham, sausage or bacon and we have English muffins, toast or a bagel as the "bread" item. I have literally been wanting to make these sour cream biscuits for weeks, I just hadn't had a chance. Well, I got up relatively early this morning and decided to make some! I had Dominic help me and before long we had biscuits baking in the oven. These biscuits are quick AND delicious. I love shortening in biscuits and chocolate chip cookies, they lend a "crunch" that you don't get with butter. We joke around with Dominic every Sunday morning, because seven days a week for breakfast he eats a Nature Valley Almond Butter Biscuit. I always ask him if he wants scrambled eggs and he always tells me no, but then when I'm dishing out the eggs, he comes in looking for his share! I always make extra for him. This morning, he ate his "usual" and then had scrambled eggs and THREE biscuits. I think he loves biscuits even more than I do, if that's possible!!!!

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups white flour + 1 tablespoon flour (reserved)

2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

3 tablespoons shortening

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup sour cream


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, put 1 1/4 cups white flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Combine with large spoon until mixed and then with two knives, "cut" in the shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the milk and sour cream and mix with spoon until dough is just starting to come together. Sprinkle the reserved one tablespoon of white flour onto a counter/work surface and knead the dough about ten times and then roll out to about a length of 12 inches and a width of 9 inches. Using the rim of a glass/cup that is 3 1/2 inches round, press out 9 biscuits. Bake for 14 minutes or until the bottoms of the biscuits are starting to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...