Thursday, January 10, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Chili



When the hubby and I got married a little over 17 years ago, one of the gifts we received was this Rival Crock-Pot (slow cooker).  I think I used it a handful of times, then shoved it away and kind of forgot about it :) I recently pulled it out (dusted it off) and have been trying to use it more.  It really is the "unsung" hero of the kitchen!! I like that you can do all the prep work, usually under a 1/2 hour, and then let the crock-pot do the rest. This past Tuesday, I was at a music therapy session with Dominic until 6:45, Lauren was being dropped off by a friend from a sports practice, and the hubby was coming home from work about 7:15-7:30.  I didn't want to have to worry about what to make, so about 3:45, I started tossing the necessary ingredients into the crock-pot.  By the time we we were ready to eat at 7:30, it was done. I like to make white rice to go along with this.  I put a spoonful or two on the bottom of the bowl, add the chili and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.  This chili can be made spicier if you want, just use chili ready or salsa style canned tomatoes (it will usually have jalapeno peppers) and hot chili seasoning mix!!! If you own a larger crock-pot than the one I used, you could easily double or even triple the ingredients to feed a larger crowd, like if you are hosting a Super Bowl Party on February 3 :)



Ingredients:

2 - 2 1/2 pounds boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup water
1.25 ounce package chili seasoning mix
15.5 ounce can white beans, undrained
  (these are also called Great Northern beans)
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 ounce can tomato sauce

Rinse chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces.  Put on the bottom of the crockpot. Add all the other ingredients in the order above.  Mix together with large spoon and cover with lid.  Cook three hours on high or 6 hours on low.  Stir thoroughly before serving.  Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...