Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tomato Soup Cupcakes

 


Using a can of tomato soup to make cupcakes?? Sounds a little unusual, doesn't it?? Since I was little, I had heard it was possible, but I had never been brave enough to attempt it until this morning. Looking through my collection of cookbooks, I found a recipe for tomato soup cake in a Campbell's cookbook from 1975.  I made some adaptions here and there when I was making these (one being making them into cupcakes). When they had cooled off, I frosted them with vanilla frosting, though buttercream or cream cheese frosting would be also be great.  When you bite into one of these cupcakes, it's really hard to believe that they were made with a can of tomato soup.  I was my own "taste tester" today.  They were so yummy, I had two!

Ingredients:

2 cups white flour
1 1/4 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1 can condensed tomato soup (10 3/4 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place paper liners into two 12-cup muffin tins. Set aside.  In large bowl, put all ingredients in the order above.  Beat on medium speed for two minutes with electric mixer or by hand with large spoon until smooth.  Distribute batter evenly between paper liners.  Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool five minutes.  Transfer to wire rack to continue cooling.  Frost with vanilla, buttercream or cream cheese frosting.  Makes 24 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...