Friday, April 26, 2013

Breakfast Cookies



Cookies for breakfast? Interesting concept, huh? The next time you are in the granola bar/snack aisle at your local grocery store, take a look at the breakfast cookies. Quaker makes oatmeal/chocolate chip ones, but I was surprised when I counted the number of ingredients on the side of the box.  Take a guess how many there were. Would you believe 43?!?!?! Good grief, I don't know about you, but I think that's quite a few.  I like the fact that I'm making my own from scratch, so I know EXACTLY what is going into them.  I gave a couple of these cookies to Dominic's bus driver Thursday morning and also took some in to his teachers in the afternoon. It's just a small token of my appreciation for all that they do for him on a regular basis!!  These cookies would also be great for dessert.  Just put a scoop of your favorite ice cream in between two cookies and press gently together. YUM!

Ingredients:

½ cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup margarine (softened)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup smooth peanut butter
2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups crushed cereal

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.  Cream the white sugar, light brown sugar and margarine together (either by hand with a large spoon or with an electric mixer).  Add the salt, baking soda, vanilla extract, peanut butter, eggs, white flour and wheat flour.  Mix well either by hand or with mixer. Stir in oatmeal and chocolate chips and mix well with large spoon.  Measure out two cups of cereal, put in a sealed bag and then crush it with something heavy. It's okay if there are bigger pieces of cereal. It doesn't need to be finely crushed :) You can use one kind of cereal or any combinations of cereals that you want. This particular time, I used Honey Nut Cheerios. In the past, I have used Trix and Kix cereals when I have made these cookies. This recipe is a good way to use up a near empty box of cereal. Roll the batter into the size below (which is a little bigger than a golf ball) and flatten with the palms of your hands. You will probably only be able to get six to a sheet.


Bake about 18 minutes or until they are slightly brown. Let cool about 5-10 minutes and then remove to rack to continue cooling.  Makes two dozen large cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...