Friday, May 3, 2013

Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes




Buried in the binder of the old newspaper clippings and handwritten recipes that were my mother-in-law's,  I found a recipe for old-fashioned cocoa cake.  I have absolutely no idea which newspaper this came out of or how old this recipe is, but I'm guessing it's close to at least 50 years old. Since I had all the necessary ingredients in the house, I decided to give this recipe a try and make them into cupcakes.  I had an unexpected "assistant" today helping me in Cathy's Kitchen. Dominic was home recovering from a really bad migraine he had yesterday and wasn't quite up to going to school today. Since he started feeling a little better later in the afternoon, I let him be my "taste tester."  Dominic did have one special request, he wanted his cupcake with blue sprinkles. He proclaimed his cupcake, "good, yes!" When the hubby and Lauren returned home, they ranked them a 10 and 9, respectively.  Since I have not had chocolate since February (when I gave it up for Lent), I have to 100% rely on their positive endorsement :)  After you make up a batch of these,  I would love to hear how you liked these cupcakes!  I think they're a winner for our family!

 

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups white sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place paper liners in two 12-cup muffin tins. Set aside.  In large bowl, put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cocoa, shortening and 3/4 of the cup of milk.  Beat two minutes with electric mixer or by hand with large spoon until smooth.  Add the remaining 1/4 cup of milk, vanilla and the eggs.  Beat an additional minute with electric mixer or by hand until well combined.  Pour batter evenly between the 24 paper liners.  Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to continue cooling.  Frost with your favorite frosting. Makes 24 cupcakes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...