Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Carrot and Lentil Soup


While at my dentist's office this morning waiting to get some oral surgery done, I got into a conversation with the hygienist about salt.  Since she was reviewing my medical records, she was asking me about my cardiomyopathy.  I told her my cardiologist put me on a low-salt diet back when I was diagnosed with the heart condition and that before that I would enjoy canned soups (especially clam chowder).  Those days are definitely behind me!  I told her that I make my own soups these days, so I can control the ingredients (particularly salt).  Lentils are my new favorite thing to experiment with.  This past Friday, since we were getting ready to go out of town for the weekend, I didn't have tons of time to figure out dinner.  This soup was ready in less than an hour, so that left me plenty of time to pack! I used Ro-Tel Original diced tomatoes with green chilies because they pack kind of a bit of a kick, but it isn't overpowering.  I usually use the "house" brand of diced tomatoes from my favorite grocery store because they are less expensive and they have a good variety of different flavors.  Once in a great while, I will buy a name brand (only when it's on sale and I have a good coupon) which is why I had some Ro-Tel in my pantry :)  I had the rest of the soup that was left from Friday for lunch today.  Since my mouth was still kind of sore, it really hit the spot!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons margarine
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups dry lentils
8 cups water
10 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper


In large stockpot, melt margarine slowly.  Add the chopped onion and saute with large spoon until the onion is just beginning to get soft.  Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients in the order given and then stir with a large spoon.  Return to the heat and bring to a boil.  Once the soup comes to a boil, cover and turn to a medium simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serves six.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...