Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Chocolate Brownies



A few years ago, I asked the hubby to buy me a cookbook (it was either for my birthday or Christmas)  called, "The Sneaky Chef - Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals."  It has a bunch of recipes that helps you "sneak" veggies and fruits into your children's favorite foods.  The cookbook only has one recipe for homemade brownies, but it uses a "purple" puree of spinach/collard greens along with blueberries.  I decided instead to come up with my own brownie recipe using yellow squash since I had one in my fridge (I usually don't keep spinach or collard greens on hand).  I let the hubby be my taste tester yesterday.  He and I shared a piece around lunchtime and his comment was "it doesn't taste like it has squash in it."  Cool, that's the exact reaction I was going for since there is actually an entire CUP in these brownies!!

Ingredients:

1 cup white flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup yellow squash, peeled and finely shredded
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 9 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.  In large bowl, put all ingredients in the order given above.  With large spoon mix until well combined.  Pour into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let pan cool on wire rack. You can eat this plain, sprinkled with powdered sugar or enjoy with ice cream.  Of course, a frosted brownie with "sprinkles" is always a big hit in this house!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...