Saturday, November 16, 2013

No-Bake Trail Mix Bars


If you took a look in my purse right now, you would probably find a prepackaged granola or trail mix bar. I ALWAYS carry at least one in there for times when I'm out and about and need just a little snack, but don't want to go all the way back home to eat something or be enticed by fast food!!  I was pretty confident that I could make my own homemade version of a trail mix bar that didn't require baking or running out to the grocery store for additional ingredients.  I am happy to report that mission was accomplished! I woke up early this morning before the rest of my family.  Since Lauren was at a sleepover and Dominic and the hubby were "sleeping in," it was very quiet here in this household.  I enjoyed a few of these bars by myself with a steaming, hot cup of coffee. When the hubby finally woke up and was eating some waffles and a grapefruit, I slipped him one of these bars.  After he had a bite, he told me he thought they were a "dessert" bar!! Well, I guess they would be good later on with a small scoop of ice cream :)

Ingredients:

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey
1 cup smooth peanut butter
2 1/2 cups quick oats
2 cups crisp rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
1/3 cup dried cranberries (I used Craisins)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cover a jelly roll pan (11 x 17 inches) with aluminum foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.  You can also make these bars in a 9 x 13 inch pan (they will just be thicker). Set aside.  In large bowl, put the oats, rice cereal, cranberries, semi-sweet morsels and pecans. Set aside.  In large saucepan, put the brown sugar, butter, honey and the peanut butter.  Bring to boil slowly, then turn down to medium heat and stir constantly for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and pour over the ingredients in the large bowl.  Mix well with a large spoon and then press evenly into the prepared pan. Refrigerate for a minimum of two hours.  Cut in bars.  If you make them the size I did, you will have 28 bars.  Feel free to make them larger or smaller! Store covered at room temperature or in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...