Sunday, November 10, 2013

Spicy Vegetarian Chili



I have been using carrots in so many recipes lately, that it was only a matter of time before I made them the star ingredient in this vegetarian chili!!! Since there was a college football game on late yesterday afternoon that both the hubby and I wanted to watch, I dug out my trusty slow cooker and tossed all the ingredients in at noon.


By about halftime, the entire house smelled yummy and the chili was ready to eat! There are many different brands and varieties of canned tomatoes available at the grocery store.  I personally can't taste a difference between the "house" brand and the name brand and since my favorite store (Kroger) had a good sale on canned tomatoes, I stocked up on a bunch of different kinds!! I used the mexican style stewed tomatoes because I wanted to make it a little spicy.  It gave the chili a little bit of a "kick," but not so much that you needed to drink a gallon of water after you ate a spoonful :)  When I make chili (whether it's with meat or with veggies), I usually make up some elbow macaroni to use as a "base" at the bottom of the bowl and then put the chili on top.  This time I whipped up some white rice instead.  Try it sometime - it's pretty tasty together.  If you have a larger slow cooker, this recipe could easily be doubled or even tripled!

Ingredients:

2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 cup corn
1 1/2 cups water
15.25 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
14.5 ounce can mexican style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1.25 ounce package chili seasoning mix

In a 2 1/2 quart slow cooker/crock pot, put all ingredients in the order given.  Stir with spoon and cover.  Set to the high temperature and cook for five hours.  Makes four servings. Top with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...