Friday, January 3, 2014

Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal Bars



While the Internet is chock-full of great chocolate chip and oatmeal bar recipes and it took just a click of a mouse to bring up over 1.5 million results on Google (yes, I am not kidding), I am one of those people that still loves flipping through cookbooks.  I have been working on my cookbook collection for as long as I can remember and my bookcase is overflowing right now.  At last count, I had about 110. I absolutely LOVE looking through the older cookbooks that I have. I have been known to lie down on my dining room floor and look through them for hours.  Earlier in the week, I was browsing through a cookbook from 1973.  Given that I have a teenager, this particular recipe caught my eye because it was under the section entitled, "Teenage Recipes."  I haven't quite figured out whether the recipes are for teens to make or for teens to eat! The original name for these bars were "chocolate chip lunchtime bars."  I changed the name to chocolate chip and oatmeal bars because of two reasons  - one is that chocolate chips and oatmeal are the two main ingredients and second, these bars can be eaten anytime, not just for lunch :)

Ingredients:

1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup white flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup quick oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a  9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.  Set aside. In large bowl, put the butter, margarine, white sugar and light brown sugar.  Beat with electric mixer or by hand with large spoon until well combined.  Add the eggs, flour, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract.  Combine well and then add the chocolate chips and oats and mix well by hand.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Cut into 20 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...